Close

Auto Bed Leveling G29 problem (what am I missing?)

Well, I'm stumped.

I was auto-bed-leveling like a champ with Clough42's Itty Bitty Dual extruder, but recently I put aside that excellent assembly and installed a single extruder with his ABL servo. I replaced the firmware with beckdac/Marlin from github yesterday, and after changing my z_probe_offset_from_extruder to -4.87, servo angles (0,0 0,0 61,155) and estop = 915, I thought I was golden... but for some reason, I get a different Z height reported with G28 (5.0) than I do in the same spot with G29 (~3.9).

Furthermore, the LCD is reporting nearly the same heights (as expected) on 1-8 probes on the topological probing... but on the 9th/last probe, it goes from ~4 to 7.8! As a result, the hot end tries to dig a trench into the bed on print.

If I simply print with G28, and omit the following G29 command, the first layer print is as expected, but obviously I have no ABL routine.

I've disabled EEPROM settings, and I can't think of anything else to do. I've been up and down the Configuration.h file ... but even more puzzling, when I flashed back to Clough42's firmware (which was working well for several weeks) the printer seems to exhibit the same bad behavior... erroneously high z-height report on the last probe, and a resulting trench run.

What am I missing?

Just to close this out, somewhat...

I don't understand why, but I am printing successfully after a G29 command again. I started over from scratch with a new DL of the firmware, and changed the default origin of the beckdac (dacb) settings from "front_left" to "back_right" in Configuration.h. I made a number of little changes here and there to the z-heights, so I'm not sure exactly what 'fixed' it... but I'm just glad to be able to print again in a very low-maintenance manner.

I'm still amazed at how one issue can magically burn away an entire day in what seems like a moment.

G28 does not compensate for the Z_PROBE_OFFSET. Doing just a G28 without a G29 is going to cause offset issues (if you don't have a couple of small firmware tweaks). If you need more of an explanation, or have a real need to resolve this... Please just say so.

Basically when g29 is enabled they are meant to be used in concert together. Not doing so leads to things not being quite right.

Roxy and sniffle, thank you. That's the key I was missing... G28 must be followed by G29; they work together for proper ABL.
    - I mean, it's obvious now that you say it... and it's obvious in practice... but while calibrating, I got stuck on an incorrect assumption and couldn't understand the big picture.

It's sorted now!