Close

Suggestion for 3D Printer?

I am a engineering student, looking to purchase a 3D printer. I have a bit of experience with Autodesk Inventor and would import .ipt models to .stl

I never used a 3D printer before, but I am mechanically and electrically inclined. I understand some programming.

I am making motorcycle parts for practice. I want large build volume, resolution (less work on my part), and flexibility to use different filaments. ABS filament I would think is optimal strength for certain motorcycle parts.

I don't care if it's enclosed or not (unless it aids 3d printing process due to consistency). I dont care about extra features like LCD screens, bluetooth connectivity etc.

My budget is up to $3000, but I love to save money. I have been looking at the Lulzbot TAZ 5, but I keep finding other printers that look promising at similar price range or less. I would like to hear suggestions before pulling the trigger on the TAZ 5.

Thanks,
    Mike

Student
    Add taskman on Facebook Add taskman on Google+ Add taskman on Thingiverse
    Which parts of the motorcycle are you making or planning on making?

The guy from playwithcarbon.com printed an F1 steering wheel using his DLP printer and Fun To Do resin. I believe he was planning on covering it with carbon. You can contact him for more information
    https://www.facebook.com/Gizmo3DPrin...416887/?type=1

How are you planning on making the parts strong? The ABS parts I printed in the past on my Makerbot 2X all cracked when I tried to assemble things together, well they even cracked while printing The Taz 5 doesn't seem to have a heated chamber. On many forums people have said to print ABS well you need a heated chamber. I have seen guys trying to water cool their extruders and heat the chamber to get good prints.

Seems the Taz 5 extruder assembly is printed, probably in ABS. I don't know how the printed items will hold up at 200 degrees C+. The Makerbot also has some plastic parts, e.g. the build plate arms. They all warped as the temperature increased. They warped with the build plate at 100 degrees C. There are some guys that created after market aluminium parts for all the warped plastic parts in the Makerbot. If you are interested in the Taz 5 you should probably see if you can replace the plastic parts with aluminium and add that cost to the purchase price

Student
    This guy printed a motorcycle with an Ultimaker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f_sf-Nabrs

The parts I am considering don't demand much structural integrity. Things like turn signals, license plate brackets, hand guards etc. I am familiar with the strength properties of ABS, I was assuming that the printed parts would be close to the ABS I am familiar with.

I do have tons of composite experience. Cheaper filament would work pretty good to create quick molds. It's dirty stuff to work with though, especially fiberglass which has strength properties that carbon fiber doesn't have. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

The taz 5 tool head is rated to 300 degrees C. It's a new tool head and is the main upgrade since Taz 4. They are advertising that it is good for printing in ABS.

Student
    The de-lamination was always an issue with my ABS parts. Maybe I just sucked at printing with ABS.

They mention on their website "all metal hot end heats up to 300°C". ABS melts at around 200 C. That hot end screws into a metal part, probably aluminium part. That aluminium part is sandwiched between 2 ABS parts

If I where you I would send them my biggest STL file, tell them you will pay them for the part and ask them to print that while recording the print. $2000 or $3000 is alot of money to be unhappy with. Do you have reviews from other users of the printer that have printed the size of things you want to print?

Another option is go to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...makerbot-users and find Jetguy. He is a god when it comes to printing. Ask him what he things about the printer.
    Seems TobyCWood has also used the Taz 5 https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/makerbot-users/taz$205/makerbot-users/dYs-4QHKbyU/hRTWlltpfo8J

I hope others can also answer your questions about the Taz 5.

Student
    Here is a video I made to show someone how to break a 3D printed part made from Fun To Do industrial strength resin
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oaillim54...O0062.mp4?dl=0

The Printrbot Metal Plus has no printed parts and it is a decent piece. Very sturdy, sound conception. I have been using it for a month now and setup has been a breeze. I'm very happy.