Close

Seeking Online 3D Printing Service: Precious and Semi-Precious Metals + Gemstones

Hey all,

I'm a jewelry designer who's been working with Shapeways for three years or so now. And for the record, I have no complaints; Shapeways has always treated me well and I will definitely continue using them. However, I recently came across another website called JewelDistrict, which will not only print in silver and brass (and with various platings), but will also add gemstones to your piece if you set it up properly.

That's a fantastic idea for a service, but JewelDistrict (which is still relatively new, I think) suffers a bit from lack of options; they only have so many kinds of gemstones available, in only so many sizes, of only a couple shapes, and only so many materials and platings available.

So, I'm here to ask: does anyone know of any other sites like JewelDistrict? Even if another site also offers only very limited options, one of those options might be something JewelDistrict doesn't. When I Google searched for a service like this, JewelDistrict didn't show up until page 3 or 4, so who knows what else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any info!

Staff Engineer
    You could probably send them the gems you want included in your pieces and get them to set them for you. Have you asked?

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Firstly, you're right Awerby, they do do that!

Secondly, it's moot, because they're now shutting down, which makes me incredibly sad. So I'll ask again, does anyone know of any place or anyone who offers a similar service? Not just printing in precious metal, but also setting gemstones?

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Try this one:

http://mongerdesigns.com/

I've never used them personally, but they are very active on CAD Jewelry forums posting pictures of prints and finished pieces. It says on their site that they use Form1+, Solidscape, 3D Systems, and Envisiontec printers.

Where are you located? If you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I've got a local guy that does great work but they don't have a website.

Thanks for the suggestion! I sent them out an email. Unfortunately the price is far too steep with them - I can't justify $250 for a brass ring (then turn around and justify something like $400-$500 for a brass ring to a customer).

Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near local for that particular person - Ontario, Canada here! Whether or not they have a website, are they willing to work remotely, and more or less how much do they charge? (if you don't mind me asking)