Close

Wasp Delta Turbo 3D Printer - 1000mm/s Print Speed

When Massimo Moretti and his team at the WASP project built their BigDelta clay printer to take on the task of printing homes from clay for third-world countries, little did they know that the technical challenges they faced would lead them to building a delta-based printer capable of astonishing speed. Moretti and collaborators like Dennis Patella took on a project to upgrade the PCB boards and firmware necessary to create the Delta WASP 20 40 Turbo, and they say it's capable of print speeds exceeding 1000 millimeters per second. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/47546/wasp-delta-20-40-turbo/

Below is a picture of the new machine. Let us know if you have tried it out. Watching the video it seems pretty legit.

Also a big question; what kind of filament are they using? Normal PLA or ABS is most likely not able to meet that kind of speed.

Engineer
    If you can spot where the fail is....
    There's no way 20 40 and 20 40 turbo would have that tremendous difference...

Quote Originally Posted by WASP
    INFORMATION ON 3D PRINTING
    Technologies: fused filament fabrication
    Cilindric Print Area: Ø 200 mm – 400 mm h Max Print weight: 445 mm
    Nozzle diameter: 0.4 mm/changeable nozzle
    Print resolution: 0.05 mm < 0.25 mm
    Accuracy X, Y 0.012 mm / 0.005 mm Z axis
    Maximum speed: 300 mm / s
    Filament diameter: 1.75 mm / 3.00 mm
    Filaments used: ABS,PLA, PET, Nylon, Flex, Polystyrene, Laywood, Experimental
    SOFTWARE
    Operating Systems: Windows XP -7-8, Mac OSX, Linux
    Software slicing: Cura – Slyc3r
    Software interface Printrun – Repetier Host Firmware: Marlin
    File type: . Stl , . Obj . Gcode
    INTERFACE
    SD Card – LCD Screen
    PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS
    Dimensions: 470x470x870 mm Machine weight: 20kg
    SUPPLY
    Input: 240V 50 -60Hz
    Power Consumption: 80W Print – 300W Heated bed
    TEMPERATURE
    Use: 20-30 ° C
    Warehouse: 0-30 ° C
    Nozzle: max 260 ° C
    Heated floor: max 100 ° C
    MECHANICS
    Frame and cover: Aluminium, polycarbonate and plexiglass
    Printing bed: Glass
    Movements: industrial guides on alluminium slides
    Motors: Nema 17 Stepper , 1/16 micro stepping

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Yeah. I looked that up too. The print speed of the 20 40 non-turbo is 300 mm/s. That's a 3.33 times increase in speed for the turbo version. Hard to believe.

Engineer
    Now that I have investigated more, Brian made a mistake in the title.
    The travel speed is 1000mm/s and the printing is actually 600mm/s max

In the video, they clearly print 0.1mm or under, so the filament wouldn't become the bottleneck performance.
    I can't talk about the acceleration, since I was never fan of that value.

But then their 600mm/s works only for a specific condition, it's not going to be a general speed.

Thanks Richard. I will make the correction.

Brian

I used this machine for the past month. Fastest FFF/FDM machine in the world? Not hardly.

32-bit electronics are great and definitely allow for faster print speeds because of vastly improved planning capabilities. This is far from the first machine to employ 32-bit boards.

It's a nice machine, and can print faster than most, if not all, FFF machines with 8-bit boards, but let's ease up with the superlatives and marketing hype.

Smoothie boards have been out for 18+ months. Anyone with a reprap and $150 could upgrade their machine and have, at the very least, equal print speeds.

And one more thing, every manufacturer needs to knock it off with the print/movement speed claims. They just get more and more ridiculous and simultaneously meaningless and confusing to customers.
    300mm/sec print speeds?!
    C'mon. If you think you can shove 12"/sec of filament through a 40w hot end with a .4mm nozzle accurately and precisely, then I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

It's a nice machine, with a lot of nice features. Let's leave it at that.

"You look at a map and tell me how arizona isnt on the water" " thats mexico dunph"

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by cope413 View Post
    And one more thing, every manufacturer needs to knock it off with the print/movement speed claims. They just get more and more ridiculous and simultaneously meaningless and confusing to customers.
    Very true, some day I might be tempted to strap enough model rocket engines to a delta's bearings to claim that it can "print" at mach speed, just to shut up the marketing hype.

Not that it would actually stop any hype. If I had a nickel for every grossly inaccurate claim of "world's first" in 3D printing I would be crushed under a pile of nickels.

Quote Originally Posted by cope413 View Post
    I used this machine for the past month. Fastest FFF/FDM machine in the world? Not hardly.

32-bit electronics are great and definitely allow for faster print speeds because of vastly improved planning capabilities. This is far from the first machine to employ 32-bit boards.

It's a nice machine, and can print faster than most, if not all, FFF machines with 8-bit boards, but let's ease up with the superlatives and marketing hype.

Smoothie boards have been out for 18+ months. Anyone with a reprap and $150 could upgrade their machine and have, at the very least, equal print speeds.

300mm/sec print speeds?!
    C'mon. If you think you can shove 12"/sec of filament through a 40w hot end with a .4mm nozzle accurately and precisely, then I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

It's a nice machine, with a lot of nice features. Let's leave it at that.
    Hi,
    are you able to measure the real max speed of the wasp turbo ? i mean only the travel speed not printing.
    thx