Close

Administrator
    Follow SarahA On Twitter

Second Prototype of Upcoming Modular, High-Speed Krak3n 3D Printer

At this point it's a bit of a mysterious project, but the Krak3n 3D printer is making some headway according to their website. The modular, easy-to-use 3D printer and scanner technology they're touting is indeed intriguing, and they say more information will follow as they launch a Kickstarter campaign to develop the system in April. They call it the Building Monster, and the proposed modular design is said to include a single extruder, dual extruder, and a laser engraving module. The company says there are plans in the works to develop a paste extruder, a chocolate extruder, and a CNC engraver as well. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/46114/beware-the-krak3n-3d-printer/

Below is a photo of the Krak3n 3D Printer:

As the designer of RepRap GUS Simpson, this warms my heart. I can't wait for them to release some videos. It seems like they may be starting the teaser campaign a little early. I wish them the best of luck.

Student
    Follow Krak3n 3D On Twitter Add Krak3n 3D on Facebook Add Krak3n 3D on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Seward View Post
    As the designer of RepRap GUS Simpson, this warms my heart. I can't wait for them to release some videos. It seems like they may be starting the teaser campaign a little early. I wish them the best of luck.
    Thank you! We have seen your printer is using a quite similar construction, it is awesome ! We plan to release videos in a few weeks, but currently our prototype doesn't look "screen ready". Regarding the campaign... Well, it was a surprise for us too, that a really great article like this was published, since we didn't really do anything pr related, besides a few blog posts on our site, and tweets, and we are in an early stage of development, so we must hurry up .

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Looks great.
    The built in scanner is also interesting.
    Mind you sounds like we got 18 months to go - at least.
    Going to be alot of competition around in the modular printer market by then. So something like this that stands out could be in with a chance

Student
    Follow Krak3n 3D On Twitter Add Krak3n 3D on Facebook Add Krak3n 3D on Google+
    Thank you!
    We think we will be able to launch without extreme delays. We started the development a while ago as a hobby project, and got covered most of the development by then, but we decided to make the design marketable/sellable about 4 moths ago, so our biggest challenge was/is to redesign (and reprogram) it to something "simple", so the customer won't have to tinker with it. This means, that we essentially redesign everything, but we don't have to make the mistakes we made back then (like trying 5-6 different bearings, bearing arrangement, etc. to figure out which is best), so the whole process is much faster. Also, we are used to rapid development and working under heavy load (actually we are a bit sick, and enjoy it), so we should be able to handle it.