Close

Is 3D Printed Meat the Future?

Will 3D printed meat be one solution to the projected world food shortage crisis of the not-so-distant future? Some American researchers think so. Developing the technology to produce meat with 3D printing isn’t the problem, according to some scientists and to company’s like New York-based Modern Meadow, which has raised $10 million to pursue its potential. One major impediment, they all agree, will be convincing consumers to opt for the 3D printed products over conventionally produced meats, so you shouldn’t expect to find any at your local grocers for a while. Find out more about the latest on 3D printed meat in the full article: http://3dprint.com/41988/3d-printed-...or-the-future/

Below is a tongue-in-cheek vision of 3D printing of meat:

Administrator
    Follow SarahA On Twitter
    Some future foods are inevitable, but it's so strange to think about them! 3D printed food WILL happen, and though it's a long way off yet, maybe it will be a palatable alternative to other up-and-coming cuisines, like bugs? With the population expanding like it is, grass-fed cows just won't be a viable source of food for large swaths of populations (not like they're really that sustainable now), and protein sources that are at least reminiscent of the flavors we all like now will be the ones to capture the market... it'll just be a matter of getting past people's initial distaste for the idea, really.

Not that "3D printed tissue" doesn't sound delicious, but... well.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Is 3D Printed Meat the Future?
    Um, no. There are limits. Thats one of them. I want my meat right off the cow, chicken, duck, pig, deer, elk, buffalo, fish, shrimp, lobster, oyster, clam, etc the way it should be.

I don't eat processed cheese (cheese that isn't really cheese) and I darn sure ain't gonna do it for meat.

3D printing sugar or chocolate, I am ok with that. Meat? Not so much.

Hmm...cheese. Hmm.... I wonder. 3D printed cheese (real cheese, just melt it). That might be an interesting project to try with some of these paste type extruders. It would have to be a non-stringy cheese but I think it would be a fun project. And what the heck, you can eat the mistakes