Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

MakerWare 2.3 Released

MakerBot has just released version 2.3 of MakerWare (Their software). Here is a bit of what the upgrade includes:
    Advanced Dual Extrusion
    We’ve completely reimagined the way that MakerWare handles dual extrusion printing. Want better control over your 3D printing workflow and major improvements to the quality of your prints? Then you don’t want to miss what comes next.
    For the first time, the MakerBot Replicator 2X will be able to print with color-matched rafts and color-matched support material. That means rafts and supports will print in multiple colors, creating cleaner, more consistent surfaces on your multicolored prints.
    Protect your dual extrusion prints with Extrusion Guards, ultrathin barriers that wrap around the perimeter of your prints. These guards clean excess filament off of your extruder, reducing nozzle clogging and improving performance.
    Share your Advanced Dual Extrusion success stories by emailing ADX@MakerBot.com
    Multimaterial Options
    New options in MakerWare 2.3 enable multimaterial usage on both of our MakerBot Replicator 3D Printers. You can stretch the limits of 3D printing with MakerBot® Flexible Filament for the MakerBot® Replicator® 2 and print detailed internal structures with MakerBot® Dissolvable Filament for the MakerBot Replicator 2X. There are custom profiles for both new members of our filament family in MakerWare 2.3. Read about how to create and edit Custom Profiles here.
    Print Preview
    Print Preview lets you see into the future. Now you don’t have to wait for an object to print to discover what it will look like when it’s done. Test out color possibilities, or explore your preview layer-by-layer. View time and materials estimates that tell you how much you’ll need of both to print your creation. You can even visualize extruder toolpaths to see where support will be applied and how infill patterns will look.
    Download MakerBot MakerWare 2.3

MakerBot® MakerWare RELEASE NOTES

• New MakerBot Slicer Features:
      • Advanced Dual-Extrusion
        • Dual Extrusion Support Material
        • Dual Extrusion Rafts
        • Dual Extrusion Bridging
        • New Extrusion Guards for Dual-Extrusion prints
        • Control over which toolhead prints Rafts and Support

• Multimaterial Printing using MakerBot Dissolvable Filament
      • A MakerBot Flexible Filament option for the Replicator 2

• UI Changes
      • “Lay Flat” button
      • Objects too large for the build volume result in an alert and the option to resize the object
      • Orthographic projection skybox option
      • Print Preview
        • Toolpath Visualization
        • Material Estimation
        • Print Time Estimation

• Conveyor Changes
      • Conveyor no longer uses PID files or the Python virtualenv

• Changes in Firmware 7.5
      • Bug fix related to Heat Hold

Other minor bug fixes

• Windows XP users should continue to use 2.2.2. MakerWare will not support this operating system going forward.

- See more at: http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2013/09...se/#more-65992

Just got this installed today. So far I'm liking it. Sucks though because this new version won't work on my laptop, because it runs Windows XP

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I just installed this today. I'll be using it most of they day tomorrow, but from the little time I've been looking at it, it seems like they addressed most of the problems I had with 2.2.

Now we get to wait and see what they throw at us with 2.4!

Nice. Can you let me know if you find any problems. Gonna install it probably next week. Been so busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riskerbus View Post
    Nice. Can you let me know if you find any problems. Gonna install it probably next week. Been so busy.
    I've rendered two or three things so far, and only had one problem that I am assuming is model-related. I'll probably do a dual-print later today.

I'll post pics and let you guys know how it goes.

I've been using this now for a while, and just wanted to bump this thread for anyone still using either Netfabb or an older version of Makerware.

Get the new version or make the switch, they added so many good features!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Hi guys,

I switch alot between Replicator G and Makerware. Makerware has great rafts but I find after some time it really hammers my nozzles. I will often get blockages or inconsistencies that at first you think are you printer itself, but you switch to Replicator G, and its fine again. Keep in mind I'm not actually using a Makerbot, so I can't really complain but for quality of prints and also the ease of editing the gcode manually I use Repg. I just wish it had as good a mouse interface as makerware, as that does feel alot nicer to use.

I'm liking the changes they've made in 2.3. At first it felt a bit different, but now I'm really getting used to it. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out in 2.4 and 2.5.
    Matt