Close

Thread: Volcano Hot end

Technician

Volcano Hot end

I haven't seen this discussed in here yet so Im going to ask some advice. Im really getting hit with the times it take to print my models, this claims to almost cut it in half. Its doing this with gigantic layer heights. Would you consider this to be a good solution for speeding up print times? Or is there another solution for that (adjustments, settings, other hardware)
    http://www.filastruder.com/products/e3d-volcano

Engineer
    Interesting. Hope to hear from someone who has used this. The print photo they show look's pretty nice. But just to help other's, what speed are you normally printing at?

Technician
    normally its 75mms It used to be 100mms but that was when I first started printing and before the learning curve lol. I didnt change it by anyones suggestion or advice just some troubleshooting I tried.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    1.2mm nozzle? wow, you could print your own thongs in half an hour!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

I don't see what advantage they have over other hot ends other than larger diameter nozzles. The example they show of the object with the quarter on top looks pretty rough, for most of my uses I would consider that unacceptable quality of finish. the smallest nozzle they show is .6 mm and no doubt it will spit out more material but the layer height will of course be more resulting in reduced quality. Any nozzle could be drilled out larger and as long as the required heat is there to continuously melt it would be the same deal. Just my opinion, maybe some one has tried it can attest to it's value.

Engineer-in-Training
    The enlarged thermal area is probably the biggest change aside from the nozzle. I could see this being a good choice for those looking to print large frame pieces or other parts with a minimum of details. This hot end would have cut my frame pieces for my new printer by almost 2/3

One other note, this hot end is taller than a standard v6 so it would take some engineering to make a dual set up with a standard v6

Engineer
    Old blue, the thermal zone is the big change here. a regular hot end these days are usually designed with a very short hot zone for better ooze control they however dont have enough melt time for filament that is passing through it at high speeds for these massive nozzles. That is where the volcano setup comes into play. Your right though, this isnt for everyone. Its for situations where detail isnt an issue or something very large is being printed.