Close

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse

Need a new car? Extend those rails on your Makerfarm and get going...

I knew it was coming sooner or later. 3d printed cars... So, upgrade your printers rails and get started, it will be spring soon. Plus, at 30mm/sec on my Makerfarm, it might take a few thousand hours to complete. I hope it sticks to the bed. And, if it warps on the corners will that make my front end out of alignment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMQJkkchTi4

(I searched the forum to see if this has been mentioned before but our search engine found nothing so I hope this is not redundant.)
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

An interesting combination 3D printing and electric driven. However, I think the print needs a few gallons of acetone to make the body aesthetically pleasing.

I would have liked to have seen the chassis. It's all well and good making a car in this way, but unless its chassis is robust, it wouldn't last any longer than a child's ride-on toy.

On the positive side, I can see this design/print process being the next step in custom car bodies and leading to the demise of fibreglass bodies.

Old Man Emu

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Watching the video, I don't think there is a classical chassis, but more of a monocoque design, similar to how the Bugatti Veyron and other high end cars are currently being made. The body is the chassis. I don't disagree with your sentiment though.

Staff Engineer
    There are some relatively smooth areas thanks to the hybrid additive/subtractive process they use. The printer makes one pass, then there is a CNC tool head that makes a pass along the outside of the layer to smooth it out. There is a little bit of waste and it's a little bit slower, but it's clearly not a process they use on the entire body.

Personally, I think it's slow, silly looking, and probably absurdly unsafe in a crash, but the possibilities the process opens up are exciting.

Engineer-in-Training
    Poor choice of tires. Motorcycle tires are easily 2+ times the cost of a car tire and rarely last more than 5-10k miles depending on usage. REALLY hard compound tires will go 15-20k and are sometimes less expensive but you give up grip in the process. Not to mention the rounded profile necessary for a bike to lean will serve only to focus wear on the center of the tire in an auto application so you're spending more money, for less life, and wasting 2/3's or so of the available tread.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'm guessing that most decisions about that car are done for physics and not longevity and cost. That prototype car probably cost more than a Bentley. I don't think they worried about prices much. The smaller tires are lighter and have less friction. I think every little bit helps in getting movement out of a motor with limited torque. I'm sure there are 100's of things that could have been done differently. I applaud that fact that he just did it. I doubt anyone would have criticized Eienstein for writing "E=MC2" (can't do superscript here) in chalk instead of pencil... lol...
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com