Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Print Quality/Speed Comparison to Flashforge or MakerGear M2

All,

I am considering an i3v 8" or 10" and I was wondering if any of you have experience with one of these and either a Flashforge or Makergear M2 and would be willing to compare the print quality and speed between units.

I currently have a Flashforge Creator Pro, which is still within the return period, that I purchased before realizing that there was a world of open source printers available. I like to tinker and favor the idea of being able to work with the community to make things work better so this also plays into my decision as well.

Any thoughts?

Robert

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I don't have the other printers for comparison, but I did run the test objects from the Make:2015 3D printer shootout through my i3v-8 and was pretty impressed with the results. Photos of the prints and my score assessment is in MakerFarm benchmark results with Make:2015 Shoot Out test models.

Heres something to think about...

If a cool new feature is implemented how likely are you to be able to get for or install it on one of the branded printers?

The one thing you usually get better than others with brbranded printers vs opensource is support but with makerfarm as an opensource brand if you ever have any issues colin or someone pretending to be colin usually answers an email with 15 minutes if not an hour. So that kinda goes out the window as well.

The other side of the coin is price. Brand printers are all crazy expensive whereas diy kits are under a thousand dollars and usually have a larger build volume to boot.

As far as print quality, even branded printers need tuning, the tend to be better straight out of the box than reprap but reprap in my opinion has a higher ceiling as far as quality is concerned because you can always print something to suit your needs to enhance your printability

Printbus,

I think your prints look very very good! From your signature, it would appear your printer is stock? Thank you for sharing..

Sniffle,

I agree with your assessment on upgrades and such. I emailed Colin earlier and I believe he responded in under 10 minutes, I was impressed.

Robert

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by N5QM View Post
    ... it would appear your printer is stock?
    No, my printer's not stock. I'm just picky about the changes I do make.

I also like to tinker, and the MakerFarm has provided an excellent open source platform to work with. Sniffle raises some very valid points. What he didn't mention is that the MakerFarm subforum here is frequented by many who feel the same way about their printers. There's all sorts of mods and enhancements that people have shared, and a number of people who are ready to jump in and help with issues.

Well, I'm pretty convinced, I guess I will have to return the FFCP and order the i3v, now onto which size..

Robert

I have a 12"... haven't used the full volume yet... but it's there if i ever need it, so far (knock on wood) I also have never had warm up issues even with the increased size

Nice, are you using that LED power supply that seems to be pretty common, I think it is 12v and 360W?

Robert

Yeah its 12v 30amp

And the 12" bed uses it all

Printbus,

I just found your build thread and to say that your printer isn't stock is an understatement, you did a fantastic job!

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast