Close

Thread: 3D Pen

3D Pen

I tried doing a search to see if there was already a topic started, but upon typing "3D Pen" in the search box, I was greeted with, "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:", so...

I just sort of think that owning a 3D pen will be a nice extension for me with my 3D Printer. I've had prints with tiny blemishes like tiny holes on the top surface (from not enough support or layers, or whatever) that I've generally fixed with a little Elmer's Glue-All (white glue that dries clear). While that works pretty decently, I'm sort of wondering if a 3D pen with the same filament might be a better way to go. I could go the Dremel routine with the same color filament, but... just trying out yet another option.

Also, I'm wondering if I can (after some experience with it) do some hand lettering, or other customizing, with it on my prints, etc...

So, I ordered a 2.0 version of the 3D pen you can find all over the internet with a number of different company's names on it. I'll have it in my hands on Tuesday (Feb 3rd). It'll be interesting to see how it works out.

Staff Engineer
    If you're looking for something to just manually add a little bit of filament to there was a great suggestion over in this other thread, chuck a small length of filament into a Dremel Tool (or similar small high-rpm rotary tool) and very carefully use the friction generated from contact to weld in the plastic. Not as good as a 3D pen for long stretches of plastic, but for small blemishes it works like a champ.

All you need for the technique is a 3mm (or 1.75mm) chuck for the rotary tool... Oh, and a rotary tool if you don't already have one.

Yep, I saw it. That's what I meant when I said, "I could go the Dremel routine with the same color filament". But thanks for elaborating, just in case.

Staff Engineer
    Sorry I completely missed that bit... That's what I get for reading in a rush.

The package arrived today after two "weather emergency" days from UPS (where everyone else in the area did their normal travel... ).

Being a V2 model, it's a lot smaller and lighter than I was thinking it would be (a definite plus!). It came with three samples of ABS plastic, which I promptly tossed over to the "maybe some day" pile.

I grabbed some white PLA, loaded it up, and wrote on a plastic Pepsi bottle. I'm certainly no artist, so I won't put a pic up here, but it worked really well (and stuck real well!).

Next I grabbed a PETG printed, vented bird house I'd printed that had a couple of little holes (missed cross bars in the ventilation area) and drew the cross bars in with the same PETG that I'd printed it with. That worked really well too!

Seeing how well it did the job, I grabbed my wife's broken telescoping feather duster (the broken part was the plastic twist knob that locks the telescoping handle in place). I had already tried fixing the nut with glue and then with epoxy. Both gave out as soon as I'd twisted it to lock the handle. Not worrying about making it pretty, I just drew along the crack first, and then up and down lengthwise on the knob until I got all the way around it a couple of times. . I twisted it locked and unlocked a dozen times or so, and the joint held up, so it's good as new (though obviously not as pretty ).

I can see this thing getting a lot of use. Money well spent!