Close

The My 3D Printer Club Forums (As Seen on TV) My3DPrinter.club

Hello there! Are you located in the UK?

You may have recently seen an advert on TV for the My 3D Printer Magazine where you can build your own 3D Printer from the parts they send to you each month. Have you purchased the first edition?

If you've already purchased the first edition or are planning to, along with the others, you may like to know that the providers Eaglemoss Publications don't provide any actual support forums for getting help with this as though it's a relatively easy thing to do.

I don't know if they are not expecting anyone to make mistakes but its inevitable that if you're building your own 3D Printer from different parts you're bound to make some mistakes and have some questions along the way. I know I will!

So if this is you, then you can join the My3DPrinter.club forums and get support and answers from other people also subscribing to this magazine that are keen and excited about building their own 3D Printer too.

Now please be nice and forgive us if it doesn't meet up to your expectations. We've not really gone for looks rather than functionality and we're still setting things up but you're very welcome to join/mingle or just bookmark for later.

Also if you have any suggestions / comments / criticisms (constructive only) then we'd be very happy to listen to them. We're looking out for friendly, helpful members of the community so we can build a better future in 3D.

PS. I'm not sure yet if this magazine is also available in the US or if you guys over there have something similar going? If so you're also very welcome to join. As is anyone that is involved with or interested in the 3D Printing industry in any way.

Thanks for reading and my best regards.

Mike from My3DPrinter.club

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    We're actually strenously encouraging people NOT to buy into this con :-)

It takes 2 years before you can actually make anything, you spend almost twice as much as necessary for a decent 3d printer and so far, the parts look to be pretty low quality anyway.

So any support forum ought to just say: Cancel the subscription and buy a makerbot clone (flashforge off ebay £440) or buy a complete kit: iprusa, mini-delta etc (£300-500) from one of the many suppliers avalaible online

Given - as I said - that you'll have to wait 2 years to print anything. What's the point of a forum now ?
    Unless it's just a full page banner saying what I said above :-)

The other alternative is to put your money into a savings account and in 2 years £700 will buy something pretty spectacular, 3d printer wise.

Rather than a small, over complicated single extruder model that may or may not work (you won't find out till at least week 59 when you get the motherboard).
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-29-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Hmmm interesting! Yeah, well, it would have to work otherwise they would have to refund the buyer all those subscription costs. That or send a fully working printer.

I think con is a bit of a strong word and too early to make a statement like that just yet. A con would be paying for something then not getting it. At least they are providing you parts each month. I think its too early to tell whether they will be high quality or not. Did you get the first edition yourself then? I got 2 metal rods and a plastic slider thing. They seem fine. Too early to say that the parts are low quality or not. Not sure what's coming next as there's no mention of what parts come when, only that later issues will cost around £15 due to the expensive parts.

But you are right in that it will take around 2 years to build at a cost of around £700. It could be fun if you've got more money than sense to spend on such things and want to have a go at it and learn the workings of a 3D printer at the same time. But definitely for more common folk only on a modest wage I can't really see the point in it myself. Better off like you said, putting that money into a savings account and buying a 3D printer in a couple years time. They'll probably be better and much cheaper by then. But you know what people are like. That said, there's gotta be a few thousand people at least that have purchased the first edition and are excited to receive the 2nd one. And there may be those that are missing subscriptions and hence, certain parts. So maybe a forum for My 3D Printer builders could become quite useful to and if such people exist and that scenario happens to come about.

My opinion is, if you've got the money and you enjoy doing these things as a hobby then go for it. But like you say, you might be better off just holding out and waiting for 3D printer prices to drop. Then purchasing one at a cheaper price or even a used one. I would be very surprised in 2 years time if someone says I have finished building my 3D printer from all the parts in the magazine and have printed out many things since. But I guess we'll just have to see.