Close

Engineer

3D Printed 4-Cylinder engine

Just checked out the newest featured item on Thingiverse. Created by "Ericthepoolboy" It's a working model of a Toyota 4 Cylinder engine, almost all fully 3D printed. It took him about 90 hour's of print time. Seem's like a really great print if you got the time and patience Probably one of the coolest print's I have seen so far in 2015 for everyone to print. Check out the full info at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644933

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Snippet about article just published:

Thingiverse user Eric Harrell has taken on the enormous challenge of designing and 3D printing his own Toyota 4 Cylinder Engine 22RE, which is fully 3D printed, except for some minor, small parts. While he points out that it required 60 hours to design, and over 72 hours to 3D print — what an incredible reward at the end. Featuring over 80 3D printed pieces, we were pretty blown away by this project. With his Thingiverse files, you can produce your own 3D printed, fully rotating model, with a working crank, pistons, and valve train. Check out more about this project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/39614/toyota-4-cylinder-engine-22re/

Below is a photo of Harrell's 3D printed engine:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox2013 View Post
    Snippet about article just published:

Thingiverse user Eric Harrell has taken on the enormous challenge of designing and 3D printing his own Toyota 4 Cylinder Engine 22RE, which is fully 3D printed, except for some minor, small parts. While he points out that it required 60 hours to design, and over 72 hours to 3D print — what an incredible reward at the end. Featuring over 80 3D printed pieces, we were pretty blown away by this project. With his Thingiverse files, you can produce your own 3D printed, fully rotating model, with a working crank, pistons, and valve train. Check out more about this project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/39614/toyota-4-cylinder-engine-22re/

Below is a photo of Harrell's 3D printed engine:

Hi, I am 75% done with this model. It has taken me quite some time and ericthepoolboy is right, it will test your machine and your patience. I have wasted about 1 lbs of filament trying to print some of these parts, but you learn so much about the limits of you and your machine. I bought all the necessary hardware and I have a rotating assembly working, I am working on the valvetrain now.

BTW if you want to try this, the timing cover is the hardest part to print because it curls if you dont have a heated bed. I even tried it with heavy rafting and it still wants to curl up. You have to really have a good machine to print these parts, they are very intricate and some are very small. The block alone took me 42 hours.

Banned
    Here are some pics of where I'm at.

Timing cover needs 30mm of perimeter rafting just to keep from curling.

The flash makes the back filament look super glossy, not the most flattering picture but these parts actually came out real nice after a months long wrestle tuning my machine day and night.
    Attached Images Attached Images