Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Engineer

E3Dv6 vs hexagon

Can someone enlighten me as to what makes the E3Dv6 better then the stock Hexagon Makerfarm uses

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I ran into this a while ago. Its really written for a different printer, but has some comparison info - http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/inde...d-review.3407/

Engineer
    Looks like the advantage goes to the PTFE tube, but i use 3mm filament..
    with 3mm does it still use the PTFE tube?

Someone else will have to answer that.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    Out on their website I found this - (PTFE Liner only present in 1.75mm version - 3mm Bowden has partial lining - 3mm Direct has no lining) - See more at: http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Full-Ki....rW3dcg1l.dpuf

Engineer
    only the 3mm bowden has a partial lining. 3mm direct has no lining. the bore on the hexagon is tight. it will will be more prone to jamming. from what i read its 1.8mm. you have to keep in mind also that plastic expands when it gets hot so 1.75mm filament for example very well might just make it down the bore without a jam. if you hit a spot that is 1.77-1.78 your done for. im not sure why they made it so tight. most hot end bores are 2mm. of course i know you have 3mm but i would assume the same would hold true with that.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    only the 3mm bowden has a partial lining. 3mm direct has no lining. the bore on the hexagon is tight. it will will be more prone to jamming. from what i read its 1.8mm. you have to keep in mind also that plastic expands when it gets hot so 1.75mm filament for example very well might just make it down the bore without a jam. if you hit a spot that is 1.77-1.78 your done for. im not sure why they made it so tight. most hot end bores are 2mm. of course i know you have 3mm but i would assume the same would hold true with that.
    That's an interesting point jimc, from what I can tell, on my 1.75mm hexagon at the top there is a brass colored separate piece that has a slotted screw driver slot on it. Has anyone tried to remove this to make the opening of the hexagon wider? Does the width increase past this opening?
    Last edited by gmay3; 01-22-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    ...the bore on the hexagon is tight. it will will be more prone to jamming. from what i read its 1.8mm. you have to keep in mind also that plastic expands when it gets hot so 1.75mm filament for example very well might just make it down the bore without a jam. if you hit a spot that is 1.77-1.78 your done for. im not sure why they made it so tight. most hot end bores are 2mm...
    This is why I provided the earlier link. I've had multiple rolls of 1.75 PLA with bumps in the 1.80 to 1.90 range. I continue to believe that this is a more common reason for filament "jamming" than people realize. I put an E3Dv6 on the budgetary wish list as soon as I read it could accept filament larger diameter than the hex.
    Last edited by printbus; 04-27-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Engineer
    i dont have a hex and have never seen one in person so im not sure what can be done. i can say that i have had an e3dv5 and now a v6. i love both of them. the v6 is even nicer. i never have a jam, the hotend never starts getting cruddy and tight inside where i need to clean it out (like the old peek/brass tube ones). the e3d just keeps goin and goin without a hitch. i run my printer 20hrs a day 7 days a week. the e3d has been on there for months.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    jimc what are you using for a mount to the extruder? When I bought my makerfarm I really wanted to skip the hexagon and go with an E3d, but couldn't verify that a printed mount I found on thingiverse would work or not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast