Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Technologist
    How is that E3D V6 coming out. I just started having jams printing PLA. And the prints are not coming out great.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    well, i might have just killed my hexagon or fixed it... I got fed up with dealing with the jams today so i took a 5/64 bit and ran down it which between my hands and general slop of a hand drill should be close to 2mm in diameter now, it definitely took a tiny bit of metal out but not a lot. btw 5/64 converts to 1.98mm :-)

I have a E3d V6 coming tomorrow of wed, so i wasnt super concerned if i screwed up too bad because i already have a replacement coming

Ive gotten a couple jams but it was my own fault for trying to print so hot that the pla was expanding a great deal as soon as it hit the heat break... Once i cooled it down to a more reasonable temp it worked just fine :-) silly me trying to print pla crazy hot(250) to get a higher shine out of it...

It has otherwise been a great hotemd that i have had little to no trou le out of at all...

In a year of printing and maybe 10kg of filament, I haven't had a jam yet with my three hexagons. What I do wish for is better ooze control. In a dual extruder setup, it's very difficult to prevent ooze from the non-printing nozzle--especially with long layer times, models that leave one extruder idle for many layers and specialty filaments like NinjaFlex.

Is the E3Dv6 better than the Hexagon in this respect, or is it just a feed/jam improvement?

I haven't had enough calibrated dual printing prints to give you an honest answer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    I haven't had enough calibrated dual printing prints to give you an honest answer yet.
    Any more comments on the oozing with the E3d, now that you've had some time with it?

I've got 2 hexagon hotends, 3mm with 0.4 nozzle .. I chose the Hexagon over the e3d because it was cheaper and there was no ptfe lining tube. my previous hotend had the lining and it caused all sorts of problems

I can say after using the E3D with your dual flex for over 4 months...oozing is not an issue....using some simple retraction settings in S3D.
    A new Feature in S3D is the ooze shield, specifically designed for dual extruders.
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Any more comments on the oozing with the E3d, now that you've had some time with it?
    Last edited by voodoo28; 07-24-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Engineer
    When i moved from a traditional hot end to the e3d i was able to cut my ooze control settings in half. The hot zone on the e3d is so sharp and short its not funny. I have way better control with it. I dont know how it compares to the hex however. As for the ptfe, its not in the hot zone so neve gets exposed to real high temps. I had an all metal v5 and i can say the ptfe liner is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    When i moved from a traditional hot end to the e3d i was able to cut my ooze control settings in half. The hot zone on the e3d is so sharp and short its not funny. I have way better control with it. I dont know how it compares to the hex however. As for the ptfe, its not in the hot zone so neve gets exposed to real high temps. I had an all metal v5 and i can say the ptfe liner is way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    I can say after using the E3D with your dual flex for over 4 months...oozing is not an issue....using some simple retraction settings in S3D.
    A new Feature in S3D is the ooze shield, specifically designed for dual extruders.
    Are you using 3mm or 1.75mm filament? I have heard rumors that there's a difference wrt oozing.

Engineer
    1.75 for me. i would imagine that 3mm would be worse in any situation or hot end. ooze is all from pressure. a higher mass of heated expanding plastic makes for more pressure and more pressure that needs to be relieved.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast