Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RepRap Central Announces 2015 3D Printer Challenge

Imagine a 3D printer which features rapid build times, super smooth vertical operation, incredible accuracy, and super quiet operation. The team at RepRap Central, a UK merchant dedicated to the RepRap community, are asking you to take on the challenge of engineering and possibly building just such a machine. They call the idea an FLM printer, or Fused Layer Manufacturing, and the winning entrant will need to complete one full layer at a time using only the vertical Z Axis. You can read the whole story here: http://3dprint.com/39021/reprap-central-flm-challenge/

Let us know if you have entered this contest and feel free to post details of your entry below!

Dlp

Don't DLP based resin printers already do a complete layer at a time? Granted DLP may not be as fast but they do handle one layer at a time. Resin is also expensive so I guess it would depend on what the additional details were.

Collaboration ?

Very interesting indeed. If there are any interested parties (businesses or individuals) willing to start a conversation (could lead to a project?) then please get in touch with me at scott.knowles @ objectform . co . uk

Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    It seems pretty sketchy when their page doesn't explain what it really is or how it works. It reads like a common marketing ploy of an advance announcement to pump up some hype.

I know Boyer is in it, I would have hoped that he would be better than that.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    I admit, i had to read the full post at couple of times to understand what Dr. Bowyer is looking for... and it would be a game changer. DLP resin based printers and FFF printers work in essentially the same fashion. In fact they all do. The material is hardened or extruded at a single point (x,y,z) at one moment in time. What the good doctor is hoping to find, is a method by which an entire layer (z) is laid down at a single point in time. As ObjectForm said, "very interesting indeed".

I'd be looking to simplify this by first handling two axes at a time, either X || Y && Z. That in itself would be an order of magnitude faster.

And that's all i'm going to say at this point

(Edit: My bad, DLP printers do work differently)
    Last edited by truly_bent; 01-22-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    DLP resin based printers and FFF printers work in essentially the same fashion. In fact they all do. The material is hardened or extruded at a single point (x,y,z) at one moment in time. What the good doctor is hoping to find, is a method by which an entire layer (z) is laid down at a single point in time.
    I think you're confusing DLP for SLA. DLP cures a whole layer at a time. Laser type SLA cures one point at a time.

I'm not going to get excited until they start giving specifics.
    Last edited by JRDM; 01-22-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    You're right JRDM. Thanks for straightening me out on that.

Student
    Add taskman on Facebook Add taskman on Google+ Add taskman on Thingiverse
    It does sound very much like a DLP printer, except if their plan is to extrude a layer at a time having millions of little nozzles pushing out hot plastic. Why would you go through that complexity to have so many more parts that can fail?

Yes a DLP projector itself does contain more parts than a complete FDM printer, but to a DLP printer a DLP projector is just one component that can be replaced easily. It is a component that is proven to be stable and usable for many hours at a time without needing replacement.

Resin isn't as expensive as it used to be. You can get it at $65 per litre. Your failure rate with DLP is much lower than with FDM so your mileage will be alot better with 1L of resin than it is with 1kg of filament. I have kilograms of failed ABS prints in bags sitting in the garage.

Print speed gains essential for mass adoption

Quote Originally Posted by edu3d View Post
    Don't DLP based resin printers already do a complete layer at a time? Granted DLP may not be as fast but they do handle one layer at a time. Resin is also expensive so I guess it would depend on what the additional details were.
    Layer print needs to be rapid, one of the criteria 50 to a 100 times faster

Quote Originally Posted by taskman View Post
    It does sound very much like a DLP printer, except if their plan is to extrude a layer at a time having millions of little nozzles pushing out hot plastic. Why would you go through that complexity to have so many more parts that can fail?

Yes a DLP projector itself does contain more parts than a complete FDM printer, but to a DLP printer a DLP projector is just one component that can be replaced easily. It is a component that is proven to be stable and usable for many hours at a time without needing replacement.

Resin isn't as expensive as it used to be. You can get it at $65 per litre. Your failure rate with DLP is much lower than with FDM so your mileage will be alot better with 1L of resin than it is with 1kg of filament. I have kilograms of failed ABS prints in bags sitting in the garage.
    Complex nozzles may not be the way to go, DLP tech too slow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast